Thursday, October 13, 2011

Journal Entry 12: To Be A Slave

  This day, I woke up with my family captured and sent to an unknown island. We were forced to become slaves. We were separated and we only got enough food to stay alive. We are beaten if we don't work enough. I know this myself, that this kind of day will kill me sooner or later. This day when I finished work at night, I were inside my cell with no windows and only one small door. I heard a person's footstep approaching...

  This person came to the other side of the wall and said "I can bring you away from here!" Even though the wind was blowing strongly outside the room, I stood up and walked outside. When I was outside, I saw an Asian, with dirty clothes and mud all over his body. I noticed that he is a slave and he must have been risking his life to come and talk to me. I asked him "Where are you from?" The man said "I can't tell you until we reach the boarder because other people will hear us!" I thought: If I went escaping with him, I might get away from this slave system, but if I were caught, I will be tortured or even killed. I decided to ignore him and go back to sleep. He saw me going back and he said "There are four of us. We're trying to escape before tomorrow night. At night even though our owner found out we're gone, they can't do anything because it is too dark outside at night. I'll wait for your answer tomorrow in the center park of the country." With his fast and quiet footsteps, he went away into the foggy darkness. I went in and thought about his words. If I went away with him, I can live a better life, escape from slavery and reach freedom. But if I were found escaping, I might get tortured and sent back to slavery or even get killed. Plus I don't even know who he is...

  The next day, I finished my job and went to the park. I saw the person I met yesterday and three other people who look familiar. I realized that they were my family and I shouted out with happiness and threw my arms around them and gave them the biggest hug I can do. I asked the person who came to me yesterday " Why didn't you tell me you they were my family?" He answered "Because I was afraid you will shout too loud like what you just did." They said "We have a map to the nearest boarder of the country. There, we can go to a huge land that is fulled with freedom. Let's go!". We traveled South as fast as we could. The weather became warmer and warmer as we traveled South. Five weeks later, he reached the boarder of our unknown country. We kept walking until we saw a huge island with a huge sign. On the huge sign, huge letters were written on it. It read "Welcome to Canada."

No comments:

Post a Comment