Sunday, May 13, 2012

Journal 66: Real American

In the poem "In Response to Executive Order 9066", the poet was moved into a camp because the American government was starting a war with Japan and the poet looked Japanese. Although the poet was born in America, grew up in America, only spoke English, ate only English food, only had friends who are Americans, she is still considered a Japanese. I think this is very unfair because she is a real American. The only part of her that is Japanese is her look. I believe that the poet herself feels like she is a Japanese. She told us that her favorite food was hot dogs which is just like an American. I think she chose to include these details because these are the elements of an average American. When we think of hot dogs, we think of Americans, because they are from America and all Americans love it. This makes us think and convinces that she is an American too. If I had to prove I was a Taiwanese, maybe I will say that my favorite food is rice with meat sauce, because it is from Taiwan and all Taiwanese love it. It makes people believe that I am a Taiwanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment